26 November 2007

Service Above Self

11 November 2006

For those veterans in Johnston County, thanks came from the best place. The JROTC Cadets for the 4 high schools in the county that have programs jointly along with the School System honored service members, past and present. It is a great thing to see high school students take the time out of a long weekend to practice for and then honor our veterans. Each of the four JROTC programs had their cadet commanders speak to the veterans. I have to say that even though I was not a parent of one of the cadets that spoke, my hero was a flag bearer, I was still full of pride at the articulation and poise these young men and women possessed. They spoke with thought and apprecitation and pride. There is leadership to be found in the youth of today!
There were veterans from WWII to Desert Storm, one of honor was a survivor from the USS Arizonia. Other speakers spoke of their experiences from their time in service and combat. Coming from a familiy with a deep sense of service and  patriotism, I knew of the events that they spoke, and when they were mentioned one uncle or cousin or another came to mind. Yes, I thought, I know that battle, I remember the stories told at family dinners. Our most distinguished speaker of the event was Gen. Shelton (USA Ret.). He spoke of those men and women that recognize that freedom comes at a cost. He honored their "service above self" and their action in reply to the challenge posed by Pres. Kennedy, "ask not what your country can do for you; but what you can do for your country." At the end of the ceremony and the honoring of the past and present veterans, the cadets Passed in Review for the General. And as a very proud parent of one of those cadets, I was overwhelemed at the resounding applause given to the future veterans of this great nation. I know that not all of those cadets will chose to wear a uniform past high school, but some of them will. Among those that will includes my own hero. I know that she will be honored and thanked for her own "service above self" action for she has already experienced the graditude of the highest magnitude, applause from those that came before her.

No comments:

Post a Comment